Permit Information

The R.M of Canwood No. 494 encourages, and promotes, new development opportunities in the municipality, with regulations in place to ensure ratepayers are able to enjoy the rural quality of life.

Whether you are constructing a residence on your land, renovating an existing building, operating a home-based business, constructing a commercial or industrial building, or operating an intensive livestock operation, a number of permits and approvals may be required prior to beginning your project.

The first step in your project planning should be to review the links below. These links will provide more information and the required application forms to be submitted for review.

Development/Building Permits

A development permit authorizes the use of a site or building and confirms compliance. Every person shall obtain a development permit before commencing any development within the municipality. This is the first form of the application process.

A building permit is separate from a development permit. No building permit can be approved without a valid development permit. A building permit is governed by the R.M Building Bylaw and approves building construction, ensuring compliance with the National Building Code. This is the second form to fill out in the application process.

Building Removal/Demolition

A permit is required to be issued prior to the demolition or removal of a building in the municipality.

Moving Permit

A permit is required when a building is being relocated onto or within your property. The building must be inspected prior to it being moved, to determine whether or not the structure meets the requirements and is suitable to be relocated.

Other Permit Information