We are a progressive municipality which serves a population of 1,351 people (2021 census) and includes 27 townships with a strong agricultural base. Our boundaries begin approximately 50 km northwest of the City of Prince Albert. The Rural Municipality of Canwood No. 494 was initially incorporated as The Rural Municipality of Thompson in 1913. The name was changed from Thompson to Canwood on May 1, 1916.
We border the Prince Albert National Park and are surrounded by many beautiful lakes. The Canwood Provincial Forest is in the southeast of the municipality, and the Big River Forest is in the northwest part of the municipality.